Aug 13, 2010

Friday Finds: Three Good Books

Friday Finds is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. Click on the link to join in.

A lucky find in the basement among textbooks from 2000:

Obasan


Obasan by Joy Kogawa (1994) caught my eye because I know the name for Grandmother, which is Obaasan, with an extra emphasis on the first a. Turns out Obasan without the emphasis is the name for Uncle. The plaintive look on the little girl's face told me that this was a sensitive story, and the American Book Award that it received further recommended it. Author Joy Kogawa is a Japanese Canadian whose family was interned during WWII.

Found on my doorstep, left there by the mailman, who probably realized "This Must Be the Place" :)

This Must Be the Place: A Novel
This Must Be the Place: A Novel by Kate Racculia (2010) is about Arthur Rook, newly widowed and grieving. He discovers a sixteen year old postcard, never mailed but addressed by his wife Amy to a woman he has never heard of. Arthur decides to visit the woman in the small town of Ruby Falls, New York. What happens, what secrets are unveiled, and the consequences are the meat of the novel.

Another book left by the mailman:

Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose

Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose by Tony Hsieh (2010) makes me think of my former employers and the advice they may need to move forward in this competitive media environment. A key idea of the book: keep your employees happy and they will automatically work well for you. Sounds like a sensible idea to me!

What did you find this Friday?

3 comments:

  1. All three sound like great finds!

    Have a blast hopping to/following new blogs or finding great books!

    Here is my /Book blogger hop/Follow me/Friday Find post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how those last two books both have images of something being "delivered!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Must Be the Place is a fantastic read -- I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...