Aug 1, 2012

Book Review: Skios by Michael Frayn

Skios: A Novel
"I'm sorry to keep you waiting," said Dr. Wilfred. "Someone took my bag."
"No problem," said Skios Taxi. "Fox Oliver?"

"What?"

"Fox Oliver?"

Phoksoliva? Dr. Wilfred was too tired to start struggling with a strange language at this time of night. Surely they could have found someone to meet him who spoke English! (ch. 9)

Title: Skios: A Novel by Michael Frayn
Published June 19; Metropolitan Books
Genre: fiction, comedy

Setting: At a lavish party on the private Greek island of Skios, wealthy guests of a cultural foundation wait to meet this year's guest speaker, Dr. Norman Wilfred, an expert on the organization of science. Things start to fall apart when a social dilettante, Oliver Fox, takes over Dr. Wilfred's identity and his place at the function. With the mix up of suitcases, guests, taxi drivers, friends, lovers, and love nests, this farce took off in full gear, very much to my delight!

Comments: Laugh out loud comedy/farce set on a beautiful Greek island. Witty and clever. The plot reminds me of Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors, involving hilarious situations caused by mistaken identities. If you like satire, you will love this spoof on academics, pretentious scientists, and those who idolize them.

I found out that Michael Frayn wrote Noises Off, a successful play turned into a movie. I must get a hold of this one and Frayn's other books written in the same satirical/farcical style.

Thanks to the publisher for a review copy of this book.

6 comments:

  1. I loved Noises Off and saw it on film and in a live production a few years ago. It sounds like this is one that I need to read. I always like a good witty book that includes satire and farce. Great review today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a really fun one! Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harvee, I'm glad this was such a hit with you! It sounds like it would be very funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds good, I could use a good laugh! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fun book. A light read for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must add this to my goodreads list!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...