Jan 19, 2014

Sunday Salon: a Cozy Kind of Winter

The Sunday Salon.com Welcome to the Sunday Salon! Also visit The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated Bookreviewer, and It's Monday: What Are You Reading? at Book Journey. Also, Mailbox Monday at it's permanent home, and Stacking the Shelves at Tyngas' Reviews.

I've been reading cozy mysteries in between my book tour books. They seem to fit winter - lighter and often entertaining, except for some grisly details on occasion as they are crime novels, after all. Here are a few that arrived in the mail for review, thanks to Penguin and Berkley Prime Crime.



A Fatal Slip: A Sweet Nothings Lingerie Mystery by Meg London will be released February 4.

  "For Valentine’s Day, Emma Taylor and her aunt Arabella have organized a special evening for men only to shop for their sweethearts in the Sweet Nothings lingerie shop. But when art dealer Hugh Granger is pushed from the balcony, Aunt Arabella is framed… for her old flame’s murder." (goodreads)




Pecan Pies and Homicides: A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery by Ellery Adams, published January 7, 2014. 



" Owning the Charmed Pie Shoppe and serving enchanted treats in Havenwood, Georgia, seemed like a little slice of heaven for Ella Mae LeFaye. When an enchanted grove is set ablaze, Ella realizes  she’s going to have to sleuth from scratch to stop an arsonist who has no respect for sacred ground—or human life…." (goodreads)




A Chorus Lineup: A Glee Club Mystery #3 by Joelle Charbonneau, published January 7, 2014.

"Paige Marshall, the high school show choir coach, is fighting to keep her singers in a national competition despite charges of sabotage…. So-called accidents keep befalling the other choirs. Yet Prospect Glen remains untouched. Paige needs to discover who’s behind the sabotage, or end up singing her own swan song…." (goodreads)

For my final book tour for January, I'm now reading and enjoying Last Train to Paris by Michele Zackheim, an historical fiction set in Paris in the mid-1930s.

What are you reading this winter? Any cozies planned? 

19 comments:

  1. Sometimes I am definitely interested in a light read, other times a great in depth Historical Fiction. I hope you enjoy your new books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a yoga cozy mystery on my wishlist. I've been waiting for it to be published and available. I need to check today. Perhaps it was published last week!

    I'm thinking about Guilty Pleasures in Reading in my Sunday Salon. I'd love to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard that Last Train to Paris was really good. In terms of tone it sounds like it makes an interesting contrast to the cozy mysteries! I am looking forward to reading your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I wasn't such a weenie about death in books because these covers, punny titles, and all appeal to me greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winter just seems fitting for cozies! I haven't read one in a while, but I think I should. The books you received this week seem like such fun! And I love the cover of the Pecan Pie's cozy!

    Enjoy your week!
    Suzanne @ Chick with Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so thrilled you are reading cozies. The one you listed are all on my to read list too! I hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to read more cozies. A Fatal Slip looks like it'd be up my skirt, err, alley. Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren't the cozies looking good? Playing with Fire was wonderful! One of my favorites. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in the mood for some cozies, too...these look delectable! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cozy books are loads of fun - mine in summer tend to be ones set on the coast or a cruise ship.
    I love the title Pecan Pies and Homicides, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cozy mystery sounds insteresting. I hope you enjoy your books this week.
    This is what we are reading this week.

    Leydy @OUaT & RCE

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your reading week looks like fun. I've seen Pecan Pies and Homicides on a few blogs, such a cool title. Have a great week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the titles of the cozies, especially the ones about food or animals.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Harvee,

    I have to admit that 'cozies' are not really for me, as I prefer my mystery / crime stories to have much more of a thriller element to them, with plenty of violence, murder and intrigue.

    Having said all that, I have been tempted by the odd couple of cozies and I will always make a yes or no decision about a book, based on its individual merits.

    I hope that you enjoy all your winter reads and have a great week,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love cozies! I hope you enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the title of A Fatal Slip. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...