Jan 27, 2024

Two Thrillers, a Beloved Bookshop, and a Killer Gourmet Cook: Sunday Salon

 Arrived in the mailbox


The Road to Murder: A Tuscan Mystery #4 by Camilla Trinchieri

Publication; March 5, 2024; Soho Crime ARC

The sole witness at a crime scene speaks only English, and ex-NYPD detective turned amateur chef Nico Doyle is summoned by the local carabinieri to help. Setting in Gravigna, Italy. 

I've read two of the three previous books in the series: Murder on the Vine and A Bitter Taste of Murder. Loved the Tuscan countryside, characters, and food. 


Currently reading:



The Nature of Disappearing by Kimi Cunningham Grant, Publication: June 18, 2024; Minotaur, NetGalley

The title of the book caught my attention. A wilderness guide in Idaho teams up with an ex to find their missing/disappeared friend who had been on a mountain trek with her boyfriend.
 Enjoying the writing, nature setting, and the character of tracker Emlyn, This suspense story is moving along very well so far. 



Next on my reading list



A follow up novel to Days at the Morisaki Bookshop, to be released July 2, 2024, Harper Perennial, NetGalley

I have been enjoying several Japanese contemporary novels set in and around bookshops. 
 
Description: Satoru, with Takako’s help, must choose whether to keep the bookshop open or shutter its doors forever. Making the decision will take uncle and niece on an emotional journey back to their family’s roots and remind them again what a bookstore can mean to an individual, a neighborhood, and a whole culture. 


And now for something completely different:


Butter: A Novel of Food and Murder by Asako Yuzuki, publication April 16, 2024; Ecco, NetGalley

The cult Japanese bestseller about a female gourmet cook and serial killer and the journalist intent on cracking her case, inspired by a true story. I'm as interested in her food as I am in why she offs her diners.

Gourmet cook Manako Kajii sits in the Tokyo Detention House convicted of the serial murders of lonely businessmen, whom she is said to have seduced with her delicious home cooking. Kajii refuses to speak with the press, until journalist Rika Machida writes a letter asking for her recipe for beef stew, and Kajii can’t resist writing back. Inspired by the real case of a convicted con woman and serial killer—the “Konkatsu Killer”—Asako Yuzuki’s Butter is a vivid, unsettling exploration of misogyny, obsession, romance, and the transgressive pleasures of food in Japan.

What are you reading this week? 

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso, It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday

29 comments:

  1. Four so different books. Like the sound of the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love and read most genres, except horror, true crime, the supernatural. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of Stephen King!

      Delete
  2. The Nature of Disappearing looks so like one I would enjoy! And I loved the first Morisaki Bookshop novel. Glad to know there's a sequel. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am eager to read the sequel to the Bookshop novel too.

      Delete
  3. I like the sound of The Road to Murder. I don't think I've read any of the books in that series. I like the Italy setting. It's one of the places I'd like to visit someday. I hope you continue to enjoy The Nature of Disappearing. It does sound good. Just the title and cover make me want to read More Days at the Morisaki Bookshop. I will have to check out the first book. And Butler! That looks like it will be a fun read! I hope you enjoy your reading and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant Butter not Butler. Slip of the keys . . . Haha

      Delete
  4. I'm curious about Days at the Morisaki Bookshop -- not sure if it's my thing, but sometimes it's just nice to give things a try, y'know? Hope you enjoy the sequel too!

    My STS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read about the Morisaki Bookshop. You might be pleasantly surprised at liking it.

      Delete
  5. All four sound like very interesting and engaging reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Dorothy. Yes, I found them all interesting.

      Delete
  6. The two thrillers both sound good, even though that's not usually my genre. I'm not sure if I could get myself to read Butter -- that sounds very creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butter has me so curious, I can't help but read it!

      Delete
  7. All four of those books sound like they could be great. Hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting variety of books. I do the same thing. Read what I like and all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. My head is full of (all kinds) of books!

      Delete
  9. Butter sounds so good!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like a Tuscan setting so The Road to Murder sounds especially good to me. I usually read several Japanese novels at this time of year during Japanese Literature Months, but I haven't run across anything so far this year that I can settled into. Maybe I'll look for Days at the Morisaki Bookshop later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Days at the Morisaki Bookshop, a jilted young woman joins her uncle's second hand bookshop in Tokyo's book district, to heal a broken heart and learn lessons from running the bookshop. Worthwhile read.

      Delete
  11. I'm just about to start 'Death in the Tunnel' by Miles Burton, then it will be 'Spying on Whales - The Past, Present and Future of the World's Largest Animals' by Nick Pyenson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Death in the Tunnel sounds interesting. Hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  12. Days at the Morisaki Bookshop has been on my list since it's release... hope I can get to it before the next one is published!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really looking forward to Morisaki- enjoyed the first book. And the Tuscan setting on that first one is nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These all sound good. Butter is the one that stood out to me the most. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some good stuff in this group, looks like. I'm particularly interested in the first one from Soho Press. That publisher has become one of the ones that most consistently deliver the kind of thing I most enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh good I'm glad you're reading the Grant suspense novel. I liked her debut novel so I'm eager to hear about her new one and if you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/6216984500

      Delete
  17. I really enjoyed Kimi Cunningham Grant previous book so I'm excited for this one. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: Cozy and Less Cozy Mysteries

  Cozy Mystery I rarely read cozies these days, except for a few like Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries. This latest is the 28th in the p...