Feb 3, 2024

The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See, set in Jeju in South Korea

 South Korea Setting


The Island of Sea Women  
by Lisa See

Published March 5, 2019; Scribner

Genre: historical fiction, literary fiction, South Korea

Description: a novel of female friendship and devastating family secrets on the small Korean island of JejuMi-ja and Young-sook, two girls living on the Korean island of Jeju, are best friends who come from very different backgrounds. When they are old enough, they begin working in the sea with their village’s all-female diving collective, led by Young-sook’s mother. 

As the girls take up their positions as baby divers, they know they are beginning a life of excitement and responsibility—but also danger. Despite their love for each other, Mi-ja and Young-sook find it impossible to ignore their differences. The novel covers several generations.

Korean dramas filmed on Jeju - Netflix 

I've been enjoying several Korean dramas set on the lovely island of Jeju, the setting of Lisa See's historical novel. and a place popular with tourists

"Welcome to Samdal-ri"


Female divers washing their nets
 
Chief diver - Photos - Netflix 

"Welcome to Samdal-ri" was partly inspired by Lisa See's novel. though the plots are not the exact same. 

Cho Yong-Pil, a weather forecaster in Jeju island, and Cho Sam-Dal grew up in Samdal-ri.  Both their mothers were very close friends and divers for conch and abalone. However, after Yong-Pil's mother died in a diving accident, the two young people were forced apart and Sam-Dal  left the island to live in Seoul. 

They meet again on Jeju after many years and begin a romance, with much family drama ensuing because of what had happened to Yong-Pil's mother in the past. This Korean drama was released in December 2023. 


"Our Blues"

Jeju coast
Photos- Netflix

"Our Blues" tells interlocking stories of Jeju island residents - happy, sad, heartwarming, revealing looks at various people, couples, female divers, and families, all of whom know each other as they live on small, beautiful Jeju Island. The series began airing on Netflix in 2022. 
 

Other Netflix dramas (partly) set on Jeju:

  1. When Life Gives You Tangerines (to be released later this year)
  2. Boys over Flowers
  3. Something in the Rain

 I know I'll be watching many of these as I'm hooked on the island setting, the stories of families and romance, the food, the novelty, for me, of female divers, the woods and the mountain, the seascape. I also have gotten accustomed to hearing Korean, and I enjoy the cadences and sounds. Of course I watch the dramas with closed captioning in English.


What are you reading/watching this week? 

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso, It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday

20 comments:

  1. I'm just about to start (probably tomorrow actually) 'The Railway Detective' by Edward Marston. After that is my last of 3 books on Whales: 'How to Speak Whale - A Voyage into the Future of Animal Communication' by Tom Mustill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really didn't know much about Lisa See until I read her novel, Lady Tan's Circle of Women, last week. Now I want to look for more by this author.

    Thank you for telling us about the many Korean dramas set on the island of Jeju!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't watched any of these but I have watched a few others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds interesting, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was surprised that I recognized Jeju Island. It took some thinking, but I tracked down that a couple of episodes of Extraordinary Attorney Woo (also on Netflix) were set there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Attorney Woo was filmed in other places besides Seoul, but at that time I wasn't familiar with Jeju island. Good to know it had scenes there. Apparently, it's popular with filmmakers and tourists.

      Delete
  6. I read the book four years ago and it was a rare five-star read for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it was a good book. I have it on my TBR list.

      Delete
  7. I’d really like to read The Island of Sea Women having enjoyed Lady Tan’s Circle of Women.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just discovered Jeju ecently and would love to see more. I'll have to look into those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dramas make me want to see the island in person!

      Delete
  9. I loved The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See. It was one of my favorite books the year I read it. I will have to check out the Netflix films you mention. Have you read White Chrysanthemum by Mary Lynn Bracht? I have that one on my TBR and have heard good things about it. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have White Chrysanthemum on my TBR list. Thanks for bringing it to my attention in regards the Korean women divers.

      Delete
  10. This sounds interesting! I've been looking for Korean fiction so will see if I can find this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Korean-Americans and Koreans have been prolific writers recently.

      Delete
  11. I loved Island of Sea Women and I am very excited that I am going on a cruise next year which will stop in Jeju! Never thought to look for any movies/series set there. I know what I am doing this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could come along. Sounds fantastic. Have fun.

      Delete
  12. Yeah the novel Island of the Sea Women was good (though quite a lot of tragedy and sadness). I think it's still coming out as a TV series right? Thx for telling us about these other dramas set there.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: Cozy and Less Cozy Mysteries

  Cozy Mystery I rarely read cozies these days, except for a few like Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries. This latest is the 28th in the p...