Feb 16, 2020

Sunday Salon: Two 2018 Thrillers

The last of the snow for the year? One can only hope. 

It's been too cold to go out much except for chores. I miss walking in the parks, and the indoor gyms are too risky for getting or spreading the flu. Happy near end of winter! I hope the hedgehog was right and spring is just around the corner.


The Day of the Dead (Frieda Klein #8)

Finished reading The Day of the Dead by Nicci French, the last book in the Frieda Klein suspense, thriller series. It was such a perfect ending, I am reluctant to go back and read the previous two books in the series that I missed.  Characterization and plot plus build up of suspense are key elements in the novels. 


I'm currently reading The Perfect Mother by Aimee Malloy, a book I read in 2018 but whose plot I have forgotten. I wonder what I will think now about the book, a suspense and psychological thriller about a single mother, her missing boy, and her mommy group.

 

The Perfect Mother
I'm in the middle of The Perfect Mother and find the idea of mommy groups interesting, how helpful or how unhelpful they could be to new mothers looking for support. In this book, the craziness of a new mother leads to the kidnapping of another mother's child.

What are you reading this week?

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated Bookreviewer. Also,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday Salon

10 comments:

  1. My son and his wife and her extended family in Chicago always feel like you have described about the weather at this time of year. It's too cold to go out and anything indoors runs you the risk of getting the flu. My daughter's mom says that we who live in the balmy south always look like we have more fun than they do. Let's hope spring is on its way.

    Two good books for you, it looks like, and that's something. Thrillers are everywhere, I think, wildly popular right now. I'm always curious about book trends, and how these develop.

    Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son and his wife and her extended family in Chicago always feel like you have described about the weather at this time of year. It's too cold to go out and anything indoors runs you the risk of getting the flu. My daughter's mom says that we who live in the balmy south always look like we have more fun than they do. Let's hope spring is on its way.

    Two good books for you, it looks like, and that's something. Thrillers are everywhere, I think, wildly popular right now. I'm always curious about book trends, and how these develop.

    Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been so cold here too... brrr! And both your books look great. I especially like the look of the Nicci French one... maybe I should look into her books.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the Frieda Klein series...and wish there would be more books! But meanwhile, I read and loved another book by Nicci French: Losing You.

    Enjoy your week. I also liked The Perfect Mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to warmer weather too! Where we live we do have changes of the seasons and a cold winter, but it should be a short winter. It does not feel like that this winter. Ugh.

    I'm going to look into that series. I'm always on the lookout for a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried The Perfect Mother last year but, it just wasn't working for me - I'm too old I guess LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did do a mommy group that was based out a chabad (even though I'm not Jewish) and am still in touch with 2 of the moms 9 years later! We actually went outside today for a short walk. The sun makes everything better :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still need to read The Day of the Dead, I always seem to put off reading the last book in a series. I have just read the French’s last two standalones.

    Wishing you a great reading week, and warmer weather!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hoping winter's over too. We haven't had much snow, but I'm tired of the cold.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...