May 31, 2020

Sunday Salon: Two Paradises and the Wrong Mother


I am reading less. For many reasons, reading has lost its appeal, gradually, since the beginning of the stay-at-home orders. I've also canceled subscription to Kindle Unlimited, so several books will disappear from my e-reader at the end of today.


 But there are lots of books on shelves waiting to be picked up and read, and the library has many e-books to lend. 


Along with the disinclination to read a lot as I used to, comes the disillusionment with my once favorite genres - psychological thrillers whose plots I cannot remember or keep straight even though I enjoyed them while I was reading; police procedurals which seem dry and unoriginal; contemporary fiction that seem superficial and thus uninteresting. 


Whatever the reason, I hope to find the odd book that will grab my attention again. I just finished Saving Paradise by Mike Bond, whose thrillers on politics and international affairs I still enjoy.

Saving Paradise

Saving Paradise

Saving Paradise is set in the Hawaiian islands and features a surfer and Special Forces veteran, Pono Hawkins, who gets involved in fighting corporations and politicians wanting to change parts of the islands into giant windmill farms. 


Pono discovers the body of Sylvia, a journalist covering the island windmill deals, and vows to find her killers, thus putting himself in danger from those involved in national and international interests threatening his beloved islands. 


The suspense of chases across the islands and on the ocean separating the islands made the book entertaining. Some armchair travel and an intriguing plot with unusual characters made this book one I was able to stick with! 


Another book I liked:

The Wrong Mother by Sophie Hannah
The Wrong Mother
The Wrong Mother's compelling and intricate plotting made me want to read more of Sophie Hannah's books.
Just when you had it figured out and all seems to be revealed in this psychological mystery, you are turned on your head. The ending is brilliant.


On my ebook reading list:

The Library of Legends
The Library of Legends


The Price of Paradise
The Price of Paradise

What are you reading this week?

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated Bookreviewer. Also,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday Salon

11 comments:

  1. I like the cover of The Library of Legends. I hope you find the book that satisfies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Wrong Mother. It was one of my first books from Sophie Hannah, and I still like following her plots and characters. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel about reading these days. I've been surprised to find that I have great difficulty reading new fiction right now. What seems to work for me are children's books and nonfiction, especially stories about very difficult times. I hope you are able to find good books during this hard time. The Library of Legends looks promising.

    I hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually been reading more however, i am retired and no kids at home. The Wrong Mother looks interesting and so does The Library of Legends and I too was attracted to the cover

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lately I've been reading more, but there have been times when a favorite genre just doesn't do it for me anymore. I tend to read something from a different genre in hopes that it will get me back on track. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I do hope you find a book to grab your interest.

    The Wrong Mother looks good. I'll have to look for that one.

    Have a great week.

    My weekly post is here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have really been reading less, too. It is odd that the outcome of being home all the time is the desire to read less. I do okay with humor and found Douglas Adams just the right formula for me. My Sunday Salon post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you seem to be in a semi-reading slump. (Never read Mike Bond-curious though). I'm sad about the state of affairs and news of the week, it does make life more depressing IMO. Hoping you find that perfect read soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Focus has been a challenge for me lately too! Another series I enjoyed the first book from that has been set in Hawaii was by Robert McCaw. The first book was Off the Grid, and the second is Fire and Vengeance. Hawaii always sounds so gorgeous to me! Thanks for sharing and enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cover for The Library of Legends is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It’s a strange time, so your discontent is not surprising really.. branching out may help.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Library of Legends looks good ... as well as A Man which you talk about in your last post. I'm reading a bit less too -- b/c things are distracting right now!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...