Mar 27, 2017

First Chapter: Losing Me by Sue Margolis

Losing Me, a novel by the English author Sue Margolis,  published July 7, 2015 by NAL

First chapter:
As she sipped her coffee in the early-morning calm, there were no augurs or omens to suggest that before lunchtime, her life would be in the toilet. Her breakfast egg was boiling on the stove. Through the kitchen window the sky was streaked optimistic orange. The elderly heating boiler was roaring away. In a moment the pipes would start their reassuring ticking and knocking. She relished this time to herself - before the day kicked off, before everybody began demanding bits of her. She would have relished it even more if it hadn't been for Mark Zuckerberg. 

Book description:
Knocking on sixty, Barbara Stirling is too busy caring for her mother, husband, children, and grandchildren. But when she loses her job, everything changes. Barbara is forced to face her feelings and doubts. Then a troubled, vulnerable little boy walks into her life and changes it forever.

MEME: Every Tuesday Bibliophile by the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph, Tuesday Intros sharing the first paragraph or two, from a book you are reading or will be reading soon.

9 comments:

  1. This isn't my usual genre, but it sounds interesting. I wonder what will happen next to put her life in the toilet. I'd keep reading!

    Here's my Teaser/Opener for this week: http://bit.ly/2o6vzwx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kym, this is a book I'd normally not pick up, but the opener is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. Who's Mark Zuckerberg and what did/does he do? I'm definitely in. Love the opening. Here's my link for today: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-1wi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read (and enjoyed) this one a couple of years ago. The issues she faces felt familiar...and I hung on for the ride. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE CUTAWAY”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, the story starts off good. I'm curious how Mark Zuckerberg is responsible for the change in her whole life. I'd keep going.
    '

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading the part from the First Chapter as well as the book description--seems like a book I should read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am intrigued by the character.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...